Most everyone has heard of Jesus! But most of what people know about Jesus has come from family and pop culture. Most haven’t really explored who the real Jesus is by reading the Gospels. If I could share a few things to everyone about Jesus, here are some of the things I would want them to know.
- Jesus called people to change. Today, Jesus is often portrayed as an all-accepting person who turns a blind eye to our sinful condition. Jesus throughout the gospels called people to change! It was Jesus who said He did not come to bring peace but a sword. It was Jesus who said his teachings would divide families. It was Jesus who said unless you repent you will perish.¹
- Jesus came on a mercy mission to seek and save the lost. Jesus came to rescue sinful humanity. He came to be the “Lamb of God” who takes away the sin of the world. He proclaimed this after he sought the disreputable tax collector Zaccheus. Jesus acted out of his deep passion for mankind. We see his love and mercy all through the Gospel stories, and ultimately it is displayed in his willingness to say, “not my will, but thy will” to His Father as he agonized over the cross.²
- Jesus died on the cross and was resurrected the third day triumphing over sin and death. Everyone needs to know the story and significance of Christ’s death and resurrection. Paul proclaims this as the heart of the gospel. The cross is the power of God! Our own hope of salvation and resurrection are directly tied to the truth of Christ’s death and resurrection. The true horrific nature of sin is seen in Christ’s death. The immeasurable measure of God’s grace and love are displayed most clearly in the cross when one understands he died in their place!³
- Jesus established His church through the power of the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost. Jesus came to establish his assembly of people dedicated to his work on the earth. We commonly call this the church. He came to build his church. He announced the church (kingdom) was at hand throughout his ministry. He trained the Apostles to establish the church and carry on His work. The church was established on earth through the preaching of Jesus on the day of Pentecost. Some 3,000 were baptized into the church, or body of Christ. The church has continued to grow and expand since that day. A Christian is a member of his church and must be active and faithful to it. It is Christ’s body on earth and constitutes a brotherhood of believers who help the Christian on his journey to heaven.¹¹
- Jesus strengthens believers today, intercedes before God on their behalf, and is returning to take us home to Heaven. Christians do not serve a dead Lord, but a risen Savior. Christ strengthens and guides his disciples today. He acts on their behalf before the throne of God as a great High Priest. He is our advocate and intercessor. He understands and gives aid to his followers. He will return one day to usher in the great day of judgment, destroy the world, and take his church home with him to heaven. Christians don’t fear his return, but long and anticipate this glorious day.²²
This is what I would want everyone to know about Jesus. I hope this little morsel of information would inspire a greater hunger to know and serve Jesus. And certainly don’t take may words about Jesus solely for yourself, but go and read the stories about Jesus called the Gospels in the New Testament. You will fall in love with Jesus and your life will never be the same.
¹ Matt. 10:34-39; Luke 13:3-5
² Gal. 1:4; John 1:29; Luke 19:1-10; Mat. 26:26-42
³ 1 Corinthians 15; Romans 1:16-17; 1 Cor. 1:18-31; 2 Cor. 5:19-21
¹¹ Matt. 16:13-19; Acts 2; Ephesians 1:20-21
²² Phil. 4:13; Heb. 2:8-18; 4:14-16; 1 John 2:1; 1 Thes. 4:13-18; 2 Pet. 3; Rev. 22