I am thankful for young preachers going into the work. I am particularly excited this year as there are a couple of my friends who are starting their freshman year studying to become preachers. I am optimistic about their studies and the impact they will have for the Lord. This got me to thinking about what a young preacher needs by way of material resources to do the work well. My hope is that young men involved in preaching and preparing themselves to preach will be blessed by this list. I also hope that older brethren who have some resources will be able to use this list to bless young preachers just starting out.
- A Preaching Bible – I know you have Bibles. But you need to get a good leather bound Bible that is comfortable to carry. I have had a couple over the years. My current one is an ESV leather-bound Bible which I love that my wife bought me for our 10th anniversary.
- A Navy Sport-coat – I know preachers dress more casually today than in the past, but you will still need to dress up sometimes. Depending on the preferences of the church you preach for, you may be expected to wear a tie and coat each Sunday. A navy sport-coat will go a long ways as it can be worn with different color pants and match an array of ties.
- A Black Suit – If you preach very long you will be asked to do weddings and funerals. A black suit works great for both occasions. I call mine my marry’em and bury’em suit! It really is an important piece of clothing to have as a preacher.
- A Purchased Bible Program – I know there are tremendous free resources available online and through apps, but if you are going to be a preacher, I believe it is worth the investment in Bible software. You can continue to add to this library of resources for the rest of your life. You can take it with you wherever you go in a compact form. The initial investment can be considerable, but it is a great blessing. If you are taking Greek and Hebrew classes in school, I would recommend buying the Greek and Hebrew tools to aid you in these studies. I use Accordance and like it very much. Many of my friends prefer Logos. Bibleworks, Olive Tree, and PC Study Bible are also options. But I would recommend staying with Accordance or Logos.
- An iPad or Tablet – I made the switch to preaching from my iPad mini several years ago and love it. It is so much easier than using paper notes and offers several advantages (I share how I do it this post). The tablet should work well with the Bible study program and allow you to take a number of sermons, books, and other resources with you on the go!
- A Laptop – Many congregations will provide some type of computer for the preacher. A computer is essential for the modern preacher. You should save all of your sermons and Bible classes as your database will grow over the years and be a valuable tool for your work. I have a Macbook Pro which the church provides that I use on a daily basis.
I am sure there are more items that a new preacher could use, but this list covers the basic essentials. Obviously young preachers can be blessed with good books, commentaries, and other resources as well.
What else would you add to this list? If I can help add any further clarifications let me know.